Tuesday, January 04, 2011

The T Word

Tolerance. There are few words that get under my skin as much as this one. Perhaps because it is such a fragile concept. Perhaps I'm not certain of the level of tolerance or intolerance I possess and practice.

I am reading a book right now that deals with the delicate balance of the freedom of religion/speech/assembly and restrictions that other countries have placed on this right. One quoted author defined intolerance as "the unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect contrary opinions or beliefs." This author continued to say that intolerance is degrading and is equivalent to being a bigot, whereas "tolerance was meant to establish peaceful coexistence with others."

That just didn't sit 100% well with me. First, I personally think that there are justifiable instances which call for intolerance if one is properly and strongly rooted in their core beliefs. For example, (but not to say that I was right) I posted a note of strong disapproval about a play that depicted a modern homosexual Christ figure. My beef is not with homosexuals themselves, rather, it is with the position that (a) pushes the idea that Christ could have been gay, or even tolerant, and (b) tells Christians that they are to stand down and allow this to happen (otherwise, we Christians are called "judgmental"). I have a difficult time remaining passive as my Savior is disrespected as such. Perhaps I am like Peter (see John 18:1-10).

Secondly, I don't accept the idea that the only way to coexistence is this woman's perception of tolerance. It is not ok that some claim to worship and serve the same God as I, the God of love, yet murder others in His name. No way. Such an instance does not yearn for tolerance. Was Christ tolerant when he drove out those who were wrong by using the temple as a marketplace? (see Matthew 21:12, 13). Absolutely not. The key to coexistence is loving one another, which cannot be replaced with mere "tolerance."

After all, parents love their children, but do they neglect to teach them when they are wrong? Not the good ones (Proverbs 13:24, 22:6). My position, therefore, is that intolerance should not be such a disgusting concept to society. Christ was intolerant at the temple, but was always loving and forgiving of others. Does forgiveness amount to tolerance? I think not. Otherwise, Christ's mission would become pointless - part of His teaching was that nobody is worthy on their own (in their current state) to inherit the kingdom of heaven, but that all should repent and follow Him. (Acts 2:38; John 14:6). In essence, "You are doing wrong; do something different."
But these are just my thoughts and opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment